On February 13th and 14th, members of American Families United met with the offices of 53 Senators and Members of Congress to ask that US citizens be treated at least as well as others in immigration reform.We met the following members in person:
- Senator Michael Bennet (CO)
- Senator Barbara Boxer (CA)
- Senator Al Franken (MN)
- Senator Tim Kaine (VA)
- Senator Pat Toomey (PA)
- Congressman Luis Gutierrez
- Congressman Mark Amodei (NV)
- Congressman Bob Brady (PA)
- Congressman Chaka Fattah (PA)
- Congressman Hakeem Jeffries (NY)
- Congresswoman Grace Meng (NY)
- Congresswoman Gloria Negrete McLeod (CA)
- Congressman Beto O’Rourke (TX)
- Congressman Ted Poe (TX)
- Congressman Adam Schiff (CA)
- Congressman Juan Vargas (CA)
Congressman Luis Gutierrez (IL) sponsored a press conference with us on the topic of the need for immigration reform for separated, exiled, and outlawed families. He spoke directly to our group and spent time talking with members afterwards. Photos from the day are posted on our facebook page.
Additionally, 50 Valentine's Day events were held around the country to show support and :solidarity to those who couldn't attend the DC trip. Highlights of the day can be found at myheart.americanfamiliesunited.org.
Some of press mentions we received follow:
Despite this success, we need to continue our outreach to those who are shaping this legislation. If you haven’t done so already, please call, email or set up a meeting with a local Congressional representative. If you’d like advice on how to get started, please contact 202-596-AFU1(2381).